Aerial safety inspections
To help provide safe and reliable service to our customers, we conduct helicopter safety inspections of our power lines and electrical equipment one or more times per year.
August 2019 helicopter inspections
Between August 13-21, we’ll be inspecting power lines and equipment in our service territory, as well as all transmission lines that connect to our hydroelectric power stations in the Upper American River Project. If you have questions, please call us at 1-888-742-7683.
Here’s what to expect:
- Inspections will take place weekdays between 8 AM - 6 PM
- The inspection helicopter will be yellow and white and its tail number is N407AP
- The helicopter may fly low, close to power lines and electrical equipment
- The helicopter may hover above power lines while they inspect our equipment
- Helicopter flights may change based on weather conditions
Inspections will take place in the following areas. Unfortunately, we cannot provide specific dates or times of inspections.
- Citrus Heights
- Elk Grove
- Rancho Cordova
- Fair Oaks
- North Highlands
- Rio Linda
- Mcclellan Afb
- Rancho Murieta
- Walnut Grove
Additional safety measures
In addition to helicopter inspections, we also inspect through line patrolling, which is done at the ground level, and in some cases with unmanned aerial vehicles (drones).
These are just some of the measures we take to ensure safe and reliable service. Our preventive maintenance programs to trim and remove trees and vegetative growth around our equipment help prevent electrical faults and outages.
For more on our efforts, learn how we protect trees and powerlines.