SEED Quarterly Summer 2021
We're committed to eliminating 100% of greenhouse gas emissions from our electric generation by 2030. As the most ambitious plan of any large utility in the Unite States, you and your business can join us in transitioning to a clean energy future.
Making the switch from gas to electric equipment and appliances in your business has many benefits to our environment, community and future generations to come. Plus, we have all-electric solutions and incentives to help offset the costs.
Learn more about our Clean PowerCity℠ movement and how you can join the charge at CleanPowerCity.org.
Applications are now being accepted for our Shine community development awards.
Shine awards are competitive and funds are limited. Applicants are encouraged to apply before the deadline at 5 p.m. on July 30. Any nonprofit organization with a 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(6) designation within our service area is eligible to apply.
Learn more about our Shine program at smud.org/Shine.
Join us for our annual Meet the Buyers and Business Resource Expo. This year’s event will be held on September 20 through 23. It’s an opportunity for you and your business to:
- Partner with SMUD
- Learn about upcoming bid opportunities
- Meet your SEED team and our buyers
- Find out about our incentives and
- Get tips on how to reduce your energy bill
The event also features networking opportunities, business education workshops and more!
SMUD understands how energy costs can affect your bottom line. That’s why we offer the Complete Energy Solutions program: a one-stop shop to help your business become more energy efficient and reduce your energy bills.
Why should you get started with Complete Energy Solutions today?
- It’s easy to participate – our team will manage the entire process and we’ll work around your schedule.
- Lower your energy costs – upgrading to more energy efficient equipment can save you money on energy bills and reduce operating costs.
- Financing options – let your upgrades pay for themselves; most will immediately lower your monthly energy costs so you’ll save more than you spend on finance payments.
- Generous incentives – our incentives cover a significant portion of your project costs.
- Improved resiliency – cutting energy costs is one way to make your business more resilient in economic downturns.
- One-stop shop for energy savings – our team will help you design a long-term plan for deeper energy savings down the road.
Complete Energy Solutions offers upgrade options to help your business save energy and money in the following areas.
- Interior and Exterior Lighting
- Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Water Heating
- Qualifying Kitchen Equipment
- Power Direct Automated Demand Response Technology
- Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment
Learn more and sign up for a free energy assessment at smud.org/CES.
DID YOU KNOW…
According to Guidant Financial, the food and restaurant industry accounts for the highest concentration of small businesses (12%).
They’re followed by retail and business services at 11%, health, beauty and fitness services at 9%, and residential and commercial services at 7%.
It isn’t easy for small businesses to break into the world of agency and government contracting, but A4 Promotions & Incentives found success through our SEED program. In 2018, SMUD released a sheltered market solicitation for a three year contract for outreach and promotional products and A4’s SEED qualification allowed them the opportunity to earn this contract. Our sheltered market solicitations are a unique way for SMUD to ensure contracting dollars support our local economy by only allowing bids from SEED qualified vendors.
A4 Promotions and Incentives is a third-generation, woman-owned, promotional product company that was founded in 1969 and is currently located in Sacramento. In the 1970s this small business began manufacturing a simple wine bottle opener with an imprinted sleeve and through a partnership with Joe Coulombe, owner/founder of Trader Joe’s, they created the highly popular (vintage) two-pronged cork puller which was a huge success and the beginning of this long-term family business! Soon requests were coming in from companies like Bank of America and Federal Express for their own branded versions of the wine bottle opener and the A4 family fell in love with the process of helping businesses develop creative, interactive and unexpected marketing plans.
As the company continued seeking growth opportunities, they found value in participating in their local chamber of commerce and learning about the value of small business incentives such as the SEED program. One of their biggest challenges was learning to navigate the agency procurement process and interpret Request for Quote (RFQ) documents. By attending a variety of educational workshops and conferences, such as SMUD’s Meet the Buyers event, they learned how to prepare a successful bid.
"The SMUD SEED program is a great example of how a local agency can be a proponent and advocate of small vendors. They are also an example of keeping purchases in the local economy, which very much benefits our entire community!"
- Bruce Anderson, Vice President/Sales Manager, A4 Promotion & Incentives
|Horizontal Life-Line Upgrade|
|Project Development Support|
|Solano IV Wind Project|
Recently-awarded SEED contracts
|Ascent Environmental, Inc.|
|Cell Energy, Inc.|
|Clarke & Rush Mechanical|
|Mader Supply, LLC|
|Technology Crest Corporation