SMUD prepared for winter storms
SMUD is prepared for the expected winter storms that are forecasted to begin tonight and continue to next week.
SMUD has a full-service Contact Center ready to answer customer calls, while SMUD line repair crews, troubleshooters and other field personnel are ready to restore power to customers should storm-related outages occur.
When storms knock out power, SMUD works around-the-clock to restore electric service as safely and as quickly as possible. SMUD can also bring in additional on-call crews if necessary.
Here are some tips our customers can use to prepare for the coming storm:
Preparing for a storm:
- Prepare a simple emergency kit and store in an accessible place. Be sure to include:
- fully charged cell phone and/or laptop and battery banks
- battery operated clock
- extra batteries
- manual can opener
- supply of bottled water
- a battery-operated radio for news reports
If the power goes out...
- Check to see if the lights are out in neighboring homes — if so, it’s likely a larger outage.
- Report the outage at SMUD.org/outages.
- Call SMUD’s toll free outage line at 1-888-456-SMUD (7683).
If stormy weather knocks down a power line…
- Stay away and call SMUD at 1-888-456-SMUD (7683) or 911 immediately.
- Assume the line is “energized” and stay away and warn others to do the same.
- Do not remove fallen tree limbs or other debris from power lines. Tree limbs and other objects can conduct electricity that can shock anyone coming in contact with them.
SMUD prioritizes where crews will be sent during a storm:
- Public safety hazards (power lines down, poles down)
- Hospitals and critical flood control pumps
- Areas with large numbers of customers out of power
- Scattered, smaller outages